Saturday, December 23, 2006

A letter that we must read

Hello My Friend,

Well, it's time for My Birthday again, so I thought I'd drop you a note. Last year, and for many, many years past, they've had a real big party for Me, so it just seems like they probably will again this year. After all, they've been shopping and preparing for it for months now. And in the papers, on radio, and on the TV, there have been announcements and advertisements almost everyday about how, soon, it's coming! They truly do go overboard about it, don't they? But it's nice to know that at least on one day of the year some people are thinking about Me, a little, I guess.

You know, it's been many, many years now since they first started celebrating My Birthday. Back then they seemed to appreciate how important My Birthday was. Lately, it seems, most folks are missing the point of it all.

Like last year, when My Birthday came around, they threw a big party, but can you believe it? I wasn't even invited! Imagine!

The Guest of Honor, and they forgot all about Me!

They had been preparing for the festivities for months in advance, but when the big day came, here was I, left out in the cold! Well, you know, it's happened so many times in recent years, I guess I wasn't even that surprised. But, even though I wasn't invited, I thought, why not, I'll just quietly slip in, anyway. So I came in and stood off to the side.

Everyone was drinking, laughing and just having a grand time, when all of a sudden, in came this rotund fellow in a bright red suit, wearing a phony white beard. And here he was, shouting, "Ho, Ho, Ho!" He looked for all the world like he had more than enough to drink, but somehow he managed to weave his way across the floor while everyone cheered and cheered. When he collapsed into a big armchair, all the little children went running over to him, yelling, "Santa! Santa!" I mean, you'd have thought he was the guest of honor and that the whole holiday was in his honor!

Then he started telling those children the most ridiculous stories you've ever heard! Things like, he lives at the North Pole with a crew of elves, and that every year on My Birthday he rides in his sleigh pulled by a bunch of flying reindeer, giving presents to children all over the world! I mean, I didn't hear a word of truth in anything he said! Imagine telling impressionable little kids such a far fetched story!

Look, I took all I could, but, finally I just had to leave. I walked out of the door, but, do you know something, I do not believe that anyone even noticed that I had gone. As I walked down the street afterward, I felt so lonely and forlorn I cried! I could only remember one other time I'd felt that low. Maybe you don't think I cry ...Oh, by the way, that little manger scene you put up in the corner of your living room, now that was really nice! It's real sweet of people to commemorate My birthday like that. But did you know that today, in some places, authorities won't allow manger scenes in parks, or on sidewalks, or any public places anymore! And just forget about putting things like that in schools! I'm not talking about far-off countries! I'm talking about right here in America.

Imagine! What could be more innocent that a manger scene to remind people of My Birthday? And yet they ban it! They've actually passed laws against it and made it illegal! You know, I sometimes wonder what this world is coming to!

One nice thing about My Birthday is that people give each other presents. And that's ok, I don't mind at all, just as long as it's being done in My Name. But something that amazes Me is how, on My Birthday, most people give gifts to each other with never a mention of My Name, except, when they're cursing about this and that! And to top it all off, usually the presents they give are all kinds of stuff they don't even need!

Let Me ask you, wouldn't you find it rather strange if when your birthday came along, all your friends decided to celebrate it by giving each other presents and never gave you so much as a thought?

Another thing that really bothers Me, is this "Merry Xmas". They have taken My Name out of Christmas and replaced it with an X. How would you feel if I sent you a birthday card that read, "Happy Birthday X" Pretty degrading isn't it?

Someone once told Me, "Well, it's because You're not around like other people are, so how can we give You a present?" You should know My answer to that one, "Then give gifts of food and clothing to the poor, help those who need it. Go visit the lonely!" I said, "Listen, any gift you give to your needy fellow man, I'll count as if you gave it to Me personally!" A personal friend of Mine, name of Matthew ... he wrote that down many, many years ago.

Reminds Me of what happened just a few days ago to a friend of Mine, a sweet older fellow. He lives down in the inner city. He's been trying for years to join a big church downtown, it's close enough so he can walk to services. But it's a very exclusive church for the 'proper' kind of folks. And I guess the people at that big church don't consider My friend as being 'proper'. They just don't think he's good enough to be a member. I found him just yesterday sitting on the church steps with his head in his hands, and I asked him what was wrong. He told Me about it, and I put My arm around his shoulder and told him I knew just how he felt. I've been trying to get into that same church for years, and they've never let Me in, either!

Well I want to tell you, there's an end even to My patience. So I'm going let you in on a secret. Now this is something I've been planning on for quite sometime. The way things are going, I'm planning on having My own party! How about that? It's going to be the biggest, most fantastic feast you could possibly imagine! It might not happen this year, I just can't say right now. But I'm sending out the invitations right now. And I know you'll want to come. There's going be room for billions, for everyone who wants to come! Some really famous old-timers and celebrities are going to be there, and I'll reserve you a seat of honor right with them! I want to tell you that this is not the first announcement I've made about this party, my old friend Matthew that I told you about, he wrote that announcement down too! So hold on to your hat, because when everything is ready, I'm going to spring it as a big surprise! A lot of people are going be left out because they didn't answer my invitation.Let Me know right away if you'd like to come, and I'll reserve you a place and, write your name in big gold letters in My great big Guest Book!

Much Love,JESUS

Oh, and P.S. Enjoy My Birthday! In My Name, that is!