Monday, November 06, 2006

WhatIsLifeAllAbout.com.sg

Well, Jean kept persuading me to blog, so no choice la, have to blog something to give her some face..hahahaha... ;)

Was just thinking about life in general - one of my retrospective moments... I'm sure everyone of us had one of those days when you just felt like you're going through the motions in life: purposeless, meaningless, directionless ... It's hard to explain but you know what I mean.

When I was young, I used to wonder if I'm the only human being alive in this world. The idea of 'the matrix' came to me when I was at the age of 5 (child prodigy?). I contemplated the notion that I was in this world alone - everyone else is not real - it's all a show put up to deceive me. If only I had the resources to put all that up into a movie, I might not be working my ass off now..

Isn't it interesting just to think about life? What's life about anyway? Tried googling, and these are some results I got:
-
the course of existence of an individual; the actions and events that occur in living
-
the period between birth and the present time
-
Expression of self as a personal and physical experience
- Life is a breakfast cereal made of whole grain oats, and distributed by the Quaker Oats Company

Ok the last one's totally out, but the rest aren't exactly what I'm looking for either..

This is the reason why it's extremely important to find a purpose in life - As the Aussie would say, "you gotta know what you're here for, 'mate".

The Bible says that "without vision, the people perish" Proverbs 29:18
Jesus said, "I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" John 10:10

"So how do I know what I'm here for?" - one may ask.

That's not for us to define.
To be sure, I believe our purpose lies within us - it's in us. But you're not gonna find it inside, someone has to unlock it and show it to you.

That's where Our Creator comes in. The manufacturer of a watch knows its function - whether its a dinner watch, a sports watch, a kid's watch...etc. Our Creator knows what we're created for.

"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:15-16

Does that mean that nothing I can do can change my life? So why bother working so hard? Why bother doing anything at all, since "all the days ordained for me were written in [God's] book"? This launches us into the age-old debate of predestination and free-will. Personally, I acknowledge that God is sovereign (predestination). However, I also acknowledge that God has given all men free-will - the ability to choose and make decisions about their own lives (which usually has an impact in other people's lives). How these 2 come together is a mystery that God Himself knows. Maybe its hidden in the Word of God - in which case I hope I will one day be enlightened.

For the record, I'm not exactly "working my ass off". It's still here, and getting a tad flabby. Which shows that life has been good to me - I've a good job, a good family, a good girlfriend, good friends, a good church, and a FANTASTIC GOD! Just that I've been sneezing the whole day, which probably set me off to a more philosophical bent tonight...