Saturday, February 20, 2010

God is good!

it has been a tough 3 weeks. my parents, vin and i, got into a traffic accident on 31 jan. out of the 9 people involved in the accident, vin was the worst hit. his upper jaw was fractured and 4 of his teeth are very shaky, with 3 of them badly chipped.

during the operation, the surgeon theoretically should remove all 4 of his teeth but he wanted to help vin to save them, cos it is a great pity to lose one's natural teeth and have to do implants. in 3 weeks time, we might know if vin's teeth can be saved. do stand in agreement with us that his natural teeth can be saved! only then, can more work be done on the 4 teeth, after his jaw and teeth are stabilized.




vin's trying to smile in this picture. its just after his surgery on monday. hope we didnt scare you with this picture. he wanted to put it as his facebook profile picture but i said its way too scary as a profile picture... =Pp

my parents still have chest pains now. i still am walking with a limp and there is a lump on my upper lip cos of the bad stitching by the A&E doctor.

after the collision, my dad kept saying 'gone, gone' and my mum repeated 'die, die'. think vin and i must have looked horrible. i kept asking vin if he was ok while waiting for the ambulance to come. think i asked so often cos he finally spoke and asked me 'do i look ok?'. although he did look terrible, but i told him 'no, you look ok!' cos i didnt want to scare him with all the details of how much blood there was on his face and body.

my mind was a total blank cos of the shock and also cos of vin's bloody face and body (i mean literally bloody, but sounds like im speaking vulgarities haha)... vin's eyes couldnt focus cos he was seeing stars and feeling dizzy and he even vomitted blood. many thoughts raced through my mind but i kept casting them out and kept praying out loud. at that point in time, i forgot all the scriptures that vin and i always claimed on healing. only kept repeating to vin, 'God is with us, He will send His holy angels to watch over us and heal you. He will protect us and watch over us.'

thinking about that night, i shudder still. at times, the sound of the horn and the collision still run through my head. its something you never ever would have thought could happen to you in your entire lifetime. we are all safe drivers, but you can never control how others drive on the road.

only after we reached changi general hospital and watched vin being rushed into a room, did i realise that my whole face and body was also covered with blood. interesting how much blood can pour out from your upper lip.

too many things about that night and these 3 weeks to share with you. some thanksgivings:

1) God's protection over all of us
thank God that all of us dont have internal injuries else it would lead to complications. vin said its good that its him that suffered the broken jaw, not me. and the harder hit ones are us, not our parents. the surgeon said that if the fracture was just slightly above where it was, then the operation would not be in his mouth, but on his face. so thank God! my husband is forever handsome! =)

2) dear friends
lyn was the first to come on mon morning. shianni came all the way with kay huat to pray with us, just for that 5 min. vin's colleagues rushed over during lunch time, but couldnt come up to see vin before he went for operation, cos there was not enough passes. joyce took half day urgent leave to be with me on monday while vin was in his 3.5 hour operation. if not for joyce and francis, who comforted me, talked rubbish to me, i would just be sobbing all 3.5 hours. my mum and i were just so worried and helpless by ourselves. many dear friends also rushed over on monday and tuesday just to show their concern. it really means alot.

it was a traumatising time. on sun night, or rather mon morning (we got home around 3am), i couldnt sleep at all. ok maybe for 1 hour from 5am to 6am. thinking about how vin was suffering cos his face was super swollen and he couldnt breathe through his nose cos it was clogged with blood, and about his operation under general anesthetic. what made it worse was that i couldnt move around myself, couldnt eat cos of the 5 stitches on my lip. felt so lost.

3) Importance of family
this accident; spending 3 weeks with vin at my parents' home recuperating; vin's dad driving us to and from the hospital so frequently - these made me understand so much more that family is so very important. i want to love my family more and more each day. make more and more effort to show them concern and to love them. just before this, vin was working till 11 plus, and i was working till 10 plus quite often. yes, work is important cos we want to do our best for God, with the talents He has given us. but yet, it also drains us, such that we just fulfil our weekly routine visits to my parents' and vin's dad's homes. this got slightly tiring occasionally in our busy schedule, but there must be more!

Psalm 23:4 (NIV)
'Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.'